Sunday, May 12, 2013
May God Bless our dear mothers on this special day and always...
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!
Come by the library and check out these great Mothers Day books :)
Saturday, May 11, 2013
First Communion Day
For our Grade 2 students and others celebrating their First Communion...
From this day on
may the truth of Gods word
grow strong in your heart
and may the gentle love of Jesus
fill your life now and always!
God Bless you on this special day...
Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Clothing Drive Collection Day :)
OLS will be participating in a clothing drive today.
All proceeds to benefit the Holy Childhood Association.
Thank-you for your donations!
May 1, 2013
New Books in the Library for May!!
Take a look at the books pictured in our Library Photo Gallery :)
April 29, 2013
Scholastics Top 10 Childrens Fiction Books
Have you read any of the following?
Thursday, April 25, 2013
It's a very special day today! Our Grade 7 students will be Confirmed tonight...
God bless your Confirmation
And in each coming year,
As you grow in faith, remember
That He is always near.
God's love is everlasting;
He hears your every prayer,
And God is ever faithful
To keep you in his care.
We would like to send our BEST WISHES to all!
Monday, April 22, 2013
Earth and Color Day!
Students can come to school today dressed in "Earth Colors" such as green, blue, brown or yellow!
Come by the library and check out the great books we have (see titles below) to celebrate and take care of our Earth :)
* Lessons from Mother Earth
* Sustainable World - Environments
* Our Wonderful Earth
* Eco-Fun with David Suzuki - Great projects, experiments, and games for a greener earth (cover shown below)
* Planet Earth (cover shown below)
* Our Earth - How Kids are Saving the Planet (cover shown below)
* The Earth Book (cover shown below)
Please remember to do the following when borrowing library books...
* Always have clean hands before looking at or reading your library books
* Do not eat or drink near your library books
* Always carry your library books in a clean school bag or bookbag
* Do not draw on or cut the pages in your library books
* Always bring ripped or damaged books to Mrs. Morena so she can fix them
* Please keep library books away from younger brothers and sisters AND pets
* Please never bend the pages of your library books...use a bookmark :)
* Keep your library books in a "special place" at home (book shelf, basket)
* Please remember and return your library books on the DUE DATE so other students can enjoy them too!
March 13, 2013
Visit the library to check out the wonderful books (titles below) that we have to celebrate Spring!
* When will it be Spring?
* What comes in Spring?
* Spring is Here
* Spring Meadow Picnic
* The Boy Who Didn't Believe in Spring
* The Spring Equinox
February 14, 2013
Wishing everyone a Happy Valentines Day!
Come by the library and read the book "Love You Forever" or the many other wonderful books about love and friendship we have for you to enjoy :)
January 27, 2013
Family Literacy Day!
15 Minutes of Fun!
In honour of Family Literacy Day’s 15th year, ABC Life Literacy Canada is encouraging Canadian families to have "15 Minutes of Fun" learning together. Learning can happen at any time. Practicing literacy together for just 15 minutes a day has tremendous benefits for both children and parents. Here are some great ways to get started:
1. Create your own comic strip about your family.
2. Invent two new endings to your favourite book.
3. Make up a new recipe together and post it online.
4. Tell knock-knock jokes together while doing the dishes.
5. Sing five songs really, really loud!
6. Invent a new game while playing at the park.
7. Read a story to your pet (or favourite toy).
8. Make a paper fortune teller with eight fortunes.
9. Write a silly poem and tell it to your family at dinner.
10. Log on to your favourite word game - can you beat your best score?
11. Create your family tree.
12. Play rhyming "I Spy" - "I spy something that rhymes with..."
13. Play a board game together.
14. Text your friend and tell them about your holiday.
15. Find 15 things that begin with the letter "S".
Visit the HSBC Learning Activity Centre for more fun literacy activities you can complete as a family at http://abclifeliteracy.ca/fld/15-minutes-of-fun or come by our library to check out the fun Activity Book filled with coloring pages, crosswords, recipes and games!
Family literacy facts:
Family literacy refers to the many ways families develop and use literacy skills, from enjoying a storybook together at bedtime and during the day, to playing with word games, singing, writing to a relative or friend, sharing day-to-day tasks such as making a shopping list or using a recipe, and surfing the Internet for fun and interesting sites (Family Literacy in Canada: Profiles of Effective Practices, Adele Thomas, Soleil Publishing Inc., 1998).
Many studies have shown that improving parents' skills directly and positively affects the language development of children (Literacy Skills for the Knowledge Society, IALS 1997, page 62).
Welcome to Our Lady of Sorrows School Library!
Our school library is an inviting and positive place for students to come and develop a love of reading, as well as develop skills for identifying, locating and evaluating varied informational sources.
Through a collaborative effort between the teacher-librarian and the classroom teachers, an effective school library program has been created to promote avid readers and information literate citizens.
The program provides instruction in the areas of curriculum support, information literacy and literature appreciation.
Mrs. Bond (Teacher-Librarian) sees the students over four days on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
* To promote reading - "reading for enjoyment" and "reading for information", thus increasing the students' success in all subject areas.
* To ensure that students and staff are effective users of information and ideas.
* To empower students to be critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers, and ethical users of information.
* To collaborate with classroom teachers and specialists to design and implement lessons and units of instruction, and to assess student learning and instructional effectiveness.
* To provide the leadership and expertise necessary to ensure that the school library program is aligned with mission, goals, and objectives of the school and is an integral part of the learning/instructional program.
Mrs. Morena (Library Technician) works on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
LIBRARY MANAGEMENT DUTIES: (Mondays)
* Cataloguing and coding new books (300 yearly averages)
* Preparing books for circulation
* Taking photos of new books and student activities for the Library/school website
* Updating databases (Library website, Photo Gallery, Circulation Reports and Year-end Inventory)
* Organizing and maintaining periodicals (magazines)
* Keeping records of library users
* Sending out Overdue Book Notices
* Shelving books and "Shelf-reading" (Keeping books in order)
* Designing Bulletin Boards and Posters (see Student Gift Board photos)
* Making new library cards for incoming Kindergarten students and new students in various grades
On Wednesdays, students in Grades K, 4, 5, 6, and 7 visit the library for their weekly book exchange day where assisting students and staff with library resources is the main goal. Also, students enjoy the use of the computers and laptops to work on special classroom assignments.
In addition, assisting teachers in gathering instructional materials and information for special projects and supervising students is also taken care of on these days.
On Friday afternoons, students in Grades 1, 2 and 3 enjoy their book exchange days. If time permits, storytime is also enjoyed on these days.
Please check which of these days your child visits the library and remind them to RETURN their books when they are DUE. The loan period is 2 weeks.
Please note: Overdue Book Notices will be sent out for any outstanding books to remind students to return them as soon as possible.
"The library is more than just books; it is a place where meaningful experiences
can foster the love of literature and learning".
For this reason, various school-wide events and activities throughout the year help to achieve this:
* Book Fair
* Character Dress Up Day
* Classroom Door Decorating Contest
* Family Literacy Day
* Readers Are Leaders
* "Read, Write and Roar" (BC Lions with LEO the Lion)
We look forward to working with your children again this year and watch them grow as readers!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at the school.
Mrs. Bond & Mrs. Morena